Stress: what is stress| Causes, symptoms, management of stress|
Are you thinking that you might be in a stress disorder and you want to get rid of your stress, before that you should be confirmed about what is stress and what is the symptoms and causes of the stress? And in this article, we will go step by step explanation about this topic of stress.
I saw many people who are having stress put their hands on their heads and think too much about what they are worried about. But many don’t know that sometimes stress can be positive also. There are two types of stress one is positive stress and the other one is negative(usual) stress. We will discuss positive and negative stress also in this article.
What is Stress:
Stress is a situation that arises when demands exceed the personal or social resources an individual can mobilize. Stress is our mind and body’s response or reaction to a real or imagined threat, event, or situation. Stress is the body’s way of rising to a challenge and preparing to meet a tough situation with focus, strength, stamina, and heightened alertness.
Best Definition Of Stress:-
Stress is a reaction of our body which comes due to psychological pressure and strain according to the situation we face. And if not cured stress can lead to many health disorders like depression, mental illness, physical illness, etc. sometimes there can be positive stress also which is good for health to some extent.
- Different people ‘feel’ different stress levels for the same situation.
- Feeling and depth of stress are felt through the perception of the mind.
Types Of Stress:-
There are three types of stress according to the American Psychological Association (APA),
(i) Acute stress-
Acute stress actually comes due to reactive thinking or negative thinking. If you have some upcoming work deadline or office promotion or any exam and you are worrying negatively like you are thinking the negative of those upcoming works then you will have acute stress. This acute stress can be last for a short time duration. But if the stress meets DSM-5 criteria, then you may be cured of Acute Stress Disorder.
(ii) Episodic acute stress-
When someone feels acute stress very frequently then they might have episodic acute stress. Usually, people who have episodic acute stress, live life in a crisis like they have many responsibilities and always fell pressured.
(iii) Chronic stress-
Chronic stress is a harmful type of stress which can damage your physical health and mental health devastatingly. This stress comes when someone stuck at one negative thinking like poverty for a long time or unemployment, etc. And can’t move on from the situation and this stress affects the body and the brain very strongly.
These three types of stress have separate characteristics, symptoms, duration, and treatment methods.
And according to the effect of the stress on a person, we can differentiate stress in two parts
(i) Positive stress- When any type of stress which motivates to achieve something. That is called Positive stress or Eustress.
Eustress helps acknowledge a change or demand or act purposefully for a challenge or cause. Despite the initial stress and strain, eustress promotes happiness and well being in the long run. But eustress does not refer to pleasure achieved without effort, but satisfaction achieved by hard work and struggle.
(ii)Negative stress- When any type of stress which demotivates to do something. that is called Negative stress or Distress. This stress can also be damaging to the body and mind.
- Distress leads to anger, frustration, illnesses, and a lack of confidence in one’s abilities and achievements.
- During distress, a person’s behavior is not controlled.
This becomes obvious in behavior –
–He/She Keeps refuting the situation and does not believe that there could be any good outcome.
–He/She Overreacts instead of responding normally.
FAQ on What is stress-
what exactly is stress?
Ans. Stress is a variable depends upon the situation and the person. Stress can be different for different people in the same situation.
What Causes Stress:
Stress can be caused by two factors and when any factor causes stress that is called a stressor. Moreover, these two factors are described below-
(i) External Factor:- We undergo many stressful situations due to factors on which we have no control at all. Like- if the poverty comes to someone due to any natural disaster then they have no control over that. So that type of factor can cause stress which is called external stress.
(ii) Internal Factor:- We undergo many stressful situations due to factors on which we have control. To understand internal factors there are many stressors which can cause you to stress the examples are given below-
- Long our study or work can be an internal factor which can cause stress.
- Overeating can be leading you to have low energy and physically unfit, which can be a cause of stress.
- we all should do exercise on a daily basis if there is a lack of exercise that can harm your stress regularly.
- Many Grown-ups don’t play much but if you play then you should have a balance between you work and play or else that can be leading you to stress.
(ii.ii) Negative Attiude:
- When we have low self-esteem then that negative attitude can lead you to stress.
- When we don’t value ourselves which is called having a lack of self-worth that can cause you to stress.
- When someone finds his/her way is limited for doing something then that rigid way of doing things can cause you stress.
- There are many people who just don’t accept critics’ feedback in a sporty manner to improve themselves and that can cause you to stress after some time.
- We see people who find blame with others that can cause themself stress.
- When we want to change others according to ourselves that can cause us to stress only.
- I am right, You are wrong this perception can cause stress.
FAQ On Cause Of Stress:
- What are the 3 causes of stress?
Ans. There are different types of causes for a different type of stress for different people. Usually, the above types of causes are the main causes of stress.
Symptoms Of Stress:
There are many changes in yourself you will notice when you have stress. The common signs are anger, anxiety, headache, overthinking, etc. For understanding sake of your, we have divided symptoms into three different parts which are given below-
What are the emotional signs of stress?
- Anxiety and fear, panic attacks.
- Mood swings like anger, tension, or overreacting to joy and sorrow.
- Lack of enthusiasm and depression.
- Headache and fatigue and skin problems.
- Acidity, ulcer, and other digestive problems.
- High blood pressure( leading to heart failure or brain damage).
- Diabetes leading to kidney failure.
- Reduced immunity.
- Rapid weight gain.
- Chronic backaches.
Socially effected symptoms:
- Conflictes and Misscomunication.
- Irritable and forever complaining.
- Overreacting to situations and arguing.
- Strained Relationship.
FAQ On Symptoms of Stress:
How do I know I am stressed?
Ans. If You find above symptoms in yourself by any chance then you have to understand that you are having stress.
If you come to know that you are having stress and which type of stress you are having, then you should learn how to manage stress.
How do we manage stress?
(i) Managing physiological stress-
- Exercise Regularly( at least 30 minutes).
- Choose healthy foods.
- Change Your environment( lighting, space, etc.)
- Reduce or eliminate caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol intake.
- Get enough sleep and rest.
- Follow a time table plan and work accordingly.
(ii) Manage Emotional stress and Social stress-
- Accept peer pressure.
- Enhance skills, abilities, and attitudes through professional training.
- Bravely confronts negatives and be assertive.
- Forgive and forget events and people if you think it is fair enough.
- Acknowledge and accept failure in friendship and love as a part of growing up.
- Avoid people who stress you out.
- Take control of your environment.
- Express your feelings in an open and honest manner without being aggressive.
- Adjust your standards.
- Learn to say no.
FAQ On Stress Management:
Why is stress management important?
Ans. Stress management is really important if you are having a stress problem. Otherwise, If you ignore to prevent the stress it can harm you a lot for a longer period.
Final Thoughts on what is stress:-
Stress is mostly due to either fear of the future or worry about the past and not so much due to the present moment. So for understanding what is stress you need to know why the stress is coming and for what thinking you are getting it. But if you have stress which you have identified then you should try to manage the stress.
If you are satisfied with the article or if you want to clarify something then do comment below and let us know your valuable opinion. Thank you.